Y2K testing and time-expiring Mathematica passwords

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17314] Y2K testing and time-expiring Mathematica passwords
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 23:22:35 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This note addresses the following posting:

MathGroup Query Number: [mg17100]
SMTP Message-ID: <199904230632.CAA03317 at smc.vnet.net.>
comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica article: <7frat5$9g$5 at dragonfly.wolfram.com>

Copies of that article were posted also to the following mailing lists:

	dmug at mathematica.ch
	cern-mathematica at listbox.cern.ch

The user's description of the problem is stated here:

> I have done a Y2K check of my computer in changing and letting the
> clock run into the year 2000. 'In the future' I have run my favorite
> software (all o.k), but Mathematica 3.0 claimed an expired license,
> fine. However, coming 'back from the future', Mathematica still
> refuses to work (expired license) and even after removing the whole
> Mathematica package including preferences, caches, ..., deleting all
> files created 1/1/2000 by any tested program and re-installation of a
> virginal version from the server, the problem persists.

It is possible that the user has misdiagnosed the problem.  The problem is
not specific to the recognition of the year 2000 as the subject header
suggests.  The anomalous behavior described by the user arises only with
Mathematica products that are personalized with passwords which have some
form of expiration date.

Users with time-expiring passwords who are encountering the same problem
are encouraged to contact Wolfram Research Technical Support for further
information:

	http://www.wolfram.com/support/info.html

An FAQ page on this topic has been added to the Technical Support web site:

	http://www.wolfram.com/support/Password/y2kpass.html

Wolfram Research, Inc.'s official statement on Mathematica 3.0's year 2000
compliance can be found here:

	http://www.wolfram.com/support/Systems/All/Year2000.html

If you encounter behavior in a supported version of Mathematica that you
believe to be defective in some sense, you are encouraged to contact
Technical Support with a description of the problem and any information
that may be helpful in reproducing the anomaly.  Hints on writing good
Technical Support queries can be found at this URL:

	http://www.wolfram.com/support/Hints.html

- --
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group