How can I plot a file of <x, y, z> points?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17323] How can I plot a file of <x, y, z> points?
  • From: finton at nova10.cs.wisc.edu (David Finton)
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 23:22:40 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm trying to use Mathematica to make a 3D plot of some data.
The data comes in a file which has three numbers on each line,
each line representing the x, y, z coordinates of a point.

Unfortunately, the only Mathematica commands I've been able to find
want my data to be a *matrix of heights*. A coworker showed me
a very complex method of finding the smallest x value and
then adding the correct number of 0's to the left and right
in order to position each z_xy at the correct xy location in
a grid. But come on! There has to be an easier way. Can anyone
help this novice Mathematica user see the light?

Thanks in advance,

David Finton