Bi-directional MathLink to Fortran

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17414] Bi-directional MathLink to Fortran
  • From: Dr Dan <drdanw at my-dejanews.com>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 02:44:22 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am trying to use a Fortran routine to integrate a set of equations formed in
a Mathematica notebook (before you ask, Mathematica cannot solve these
equations by itself. Mathematica does not support Differential Algebraic Equations
[yet?])  This cannot be an unusual task, but it gets messy quickly.  Can
anybody point me to an example where something like this has been done?

Here are some reasons why the details are messy:

1. Since I form the equations in Mathematica, the integration routine must be
able to call Mathematica back for function evaluations.

2. The integration routine is in Fortran, so I need C wrappers both ways.

3. The integration routine is called several times; I don't want the overhead
of allocating arrays each time it is called.  I also can't have memory leaks.

4. Linker conflicts between MS Visual C++ 5 and MS Fortran Powerstation
Windows libraries.

5. Here's the kicker: this is the first time I've needed to use MathLink.

None of these are insurmountable.  However, if I had an example to follow it
might save me a week or two.  Any help would be appreciated.