Re: Dialog for selecting a file to be read; who knows about buttons?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17457] Re: Dialog for selecting a file to be read; who knows about buttons?
  • From: Ronald Albrecht <Ronald.Albrecht at lrz.uni-muenchen.de>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 04:43:57 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Martin Rommel wrote:
> =

> I often load data files to be processed in Mathematica and it is quite
> cumbersome that I have to explicitly specify the path and the
> filename every time. I would rather pick from a list in a dialog window=
=2E
> =

> As far as I know there is no simple way to invoke the operating system'=
> file open dialog from Mathematica. Has anyone come up with a solution?
> =

> I can imagine that a small external program (maybe linked via mathlink =
or
> called with <<"! ) can do the job.
> Another possibility would be a fancy construct (maybe as a button) usin=
g the
> Mathematica Commands FileNames[], SetDirectory[], etc.
> =

> If you know of anything related please let me know!
> =

> Cheers, Martin.

GG

I have got the same problem and tried the thing using buttons to
create a list of files to choose from, as a list of buttons
again. But I have to admit, that I didn't fully understand the
creation of buttons, with all these ButtonStyle, ButtonData,
etc.
Does anyone know where to get some more information on buttons ?
The help files are not helpful at all.

Ron

-- =

Dipl.-Ing. Ronald Albrecht
Ronald.Albrecht at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Tel.: 089 / 5160-3426
Fax.: 089 / 5160-4756

Institut und Poliklinik fuer Kinder- und Jugendpsychiatrie
der LMU M=FCnchen
Waltherstr.23
80337 M=FCnchen
Postadresse: =