Split solution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17492] Split solution
  • From: Russell Towle <rustybel at foothill.net>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 01:44:28 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

Many thanks to those who reponded to my query about using Split. Jean-Marie
Thomas and Allan Hayes provided similar solutions. To recapitulate, the
problem was to Split a list of 3D polygons into sublists according to
surface area. Hayes and Thomas alike responded by first creating a list of
the form {{polygon, area},...} or {{area, polygon},...}, Sort-ing this list
by area, and then Split-ing it into sublists.

This proved quite workable and I obtained code 30 times faster than my
previous area-sorting method.

Russell Towle
P.O. Box 141
Dutch Flat, California 95714