NDSolve solutions tending to ODE fixed point

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17653] NDSolve solutions tending to ODE fixed point
  • From: lones at umich.edu (Lones Smith)
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 03:37:40 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a 4 dimensional autonomous ODE system with a fixed point.
It is not solvable in closed form, but only numerically.
I am starting away from the fixed point, with two of the coordinates
of the ODE given. I must find which values of the other two coordinates
are consistent with find the solution tending to the fixed point.
Better yet, it would be nice to know what this "stable manifold" of
solutions of the ODE looks like graphically.

Does anyone know of any routines that will do this for me?
Surely it must have been encountered a myriad of times before.
[It is essentially playing a many dimensional high-low game
shooting the ODE off and seeing if it eventually gets close to
the fixed point.]

Lones
 .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-. econ-theorist at earthling.net
/ L \ O / N \ E / S \   / S \ M / I \ T / H \      or: lones at umich.edu
335A Lorch, Economics Dept, Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1220
http://www.umich.edu/~lones 734-764-2357 [764primes] FAX: -2769 [-army]