Precision.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17681] Precision.
  • From: phpcp at csv.warwick.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 23:58:59 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I have a function that looks like:

f[s_,n_]:= BesselK[0,n(1-s)]-BesselK[0,n]BesselI[0,n(1-s)]/BesselI[0,n]

We can see that an expansion around s=0 should give a zero constant term.
When I try

Series[f[s,n],{s,0,5}]

it gives me a very small constant term and rest of the series is o.k.
Using the Chop function results in the right series. This is not useful,
if I try to define other more involved functions using f. A definition
like

f1[s_,n_]:=Chop[f[s,n]]

is not too useful. Can someone help me find a way to get rid of this very
small constant term that I keep getting.

cheers,
Sanjay.