Re: Exporting results from Mathematica to other applications

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17703] Re: [mg17644] Exporting results from Mathematica to other applications
  • From: "Mark E. Harder" <harderm at ucs.orst.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 02:25:24 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Samr;
    Copying Mathematica output to other programs is generally not as simple as
cut&paste.  uSoft programs can do this among themselves because they are
written so that they can exchange data.  Apparently Mathematica is not written
that way (it was originally written for the Macintosh), and you must use its
MathLink facility to communicate with other programs.
    For Excel and Word, there are 3rd party applications written for sharing
data to/from Mathematica, and much more.  I have Mathematica Link for Excel on my
work computer (Dell PII with Windows NT 4.0) and I use it as a front end for
my data-analysis programs in Mathematica. -- I type filenames into an XL
spreadsheet, and use a cell in the same worksheet to assign the list to a
symbol, which my notebook uses to read the data in those files.  Mathematica
processes this data and creates tables of x,y1,y2,y3.... data which can be
shared with XL, and graphed in XL, and so forth.  This is done in MultiLink
mode, in which both Mathematica and XL are connected to the same Kernel.  You can
also cut&paste between the 2 programs, and cut Mathematica graphs and paste them
into XL.  There is even a mode which allows you to write Mathematica code into a
worksheet, and dispense with the notebook interface altogether (I haven't
tried this).  Its a pretty nice program, although in MultiLink mode, it can
be somewhat more fragile than Mathematica. alone -- locked kernels , and package
shadowing, for example, seem more common with the Link.  This package is
produced by episoft.com and marketed by Wolfram. See the Wolfram site, or
contact Episoft for details.
    Also, the data analysis and plotting program Origin will import Mathematica
"matrices" (I'm not sure how literally they mean "matrices"). I've used this
feature once.  It's pretty easy to use. I simply wrote a Mathematica table of
results to a file using "<<" (check this, I'm working on memory here), and
imported it into Origin.  I don't use Origin very often.  It can be
annoyingly buggy and complex; but its 2D graphs are publication quality.
    I hope that helps.
-mark