Re: Solving TD/TI Schrod eq in 2/3 dimen

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20590] Re: Solving TD/TI Schrod eq in 2/3 dimen
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kevinmccann at Home.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 02:35:27 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

There is no exact solution for H2, but there is for the H2+ ion, although it
ain't pretty.  I don't have a reference handy, but might be able to dig one
out if you need it.  The whole field of doing X2 molecules with varying
internuclear separation has been around for a long time, but it is a fairly
time consuming calculation.  The usual approach is to expand in Gaussians or
some other analytic function for which all integrals are known analytically.
Haven't done this myself, but I have used the results often for scattering
calculations.  A good place to look would be in the Journal of Chemical
Physics.  I suspect that Mathematica is NOT the way to go, since this can be a
seriously difficult calculation.  If you find some nice solution I would
really like to hear from you.

In answer to your second question.  You can actually reduce the
dimensionality of the problem by expanding in spherical harmonics with the
z-axis along the internuclear line.  I don't know where you are on the
learning curve about the generalities, but the chemists often have useful
references.  I especially like this oldy but goody, although I am sure there
are more recent references.

"Atoms & Molecules"
by Martin Karplus and Richard Porter
W. A. Benjamin 1971