Re: Re: drawing tilted ellipses?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20603] Re: [mg20548] Re: drawing tilted ellipses?
  • From: "Wolf, Hartmut" <hwolf at debis.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 02:35:34 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

James Lawry schrieb:

> Joe Strout <joe at strout.net> wrote in message news:7v3bmr$5te at smc.vnet.net...
> > Is it possible to draw an ellipse in Mathematica that is not orthogonal
> > to the XY axes?  E.g., leaning over 30 degrees?
> >
> > I thought perhaps I could specify it orthogonally and then apply a
> > rotation transformation, but the only transformations available seem to
> > be scaling (Scaled) and translation (Offset).
> >
> > Of course I could use a series of line segments, but I want this to be
> > smooth even when printed on a high-resolution printer.  Any tips?
>
> Other replies to this message seem to assume that Joe wants to plot an
> ellipse, which effectively renders it as a series of line segments. I
> interpret Joe's question as meaning he wants to find a way of rotating the
> graphics primitive for an ellipse, Circle[{x, y}, {r1, r2}]. I don't know of
> any way to do this -- it seems you are stuck with ellipses whose major and
> minor axes are parallel to the display coordinate axes.
>
> James Lawry.

Hello James,

that exactly seems to be the problem. The reason is, that Circle (or
Disk) is directly transformed to a corresponding PostScript primitive,
but PostScript itself is defined according to the needs *and* abilities
of printers and graphic cards and they only have (or had at the time of
defining the language) hardware-routines for drawing (filled or
unfilled) ellipses. That is, even scaling operations at the PosScript
level wouldn't do.

Kind regards, Hartmut