Re: PolygonIntersections, MeshRange: What do they do?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20653] Re: PolygonIntersections, MeshRange: What do they do?
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 02:09:56 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Ted,

MeshRange:

MeshRange is used for array-based graphics like SurfaceGraphics and
ContourGraphics to specify the x and y ranges.

With the following the default ranges are derived from the arraydimensions

Show[SurfaceGraphics[{{1, 3, 4}, {2, 6, 1}, {4, 1, 7}, {5, 2, 4}}],
  Axes -> True]

We can specify what we want with MeshRange:

Show[%, MeshRange -> {{-9, -5}, {4, 9}}]

If we plot with, for example,

Plot3D[x+y, {x,-9, -5}, {y, 4,9}]

then MeshRange -> {{-9, -5}, {4, 9}}] is automatically included in the
SurfaceGraphics object generated.
We can't mess things up Plot3D because MeshRange is not an option for it.

PolygonIntersections:
I must just take the book's statement that "PolygonIntersections -> False is
useful in creating graphics objects which can be sent to certain external
three dimensional rendering programs"
Perhaps someone else will enlarge on this, but here are some experiments:

gr = Show[Graphics3D[{Polygon[{{0, 0, 0}, {1, 1, 1}, {0, 1, 1}}],
        Polygon[{{0, 1, 1}, {0, 0, 1}, {1, 1, 0}}]}]]

InputForm[gr]

gr2 = Show[gr, PolygonIntersections -> False]

Why not shown above?
When we get the following

Show[gr2]

Looking at the input form we see that we have
- the polygons have been split along the line of intersecton,
- the colors are given explicitly using face form
- polygon edges are suppresed with EdgeForm[]
- - and are provided by explicit Line objects

InputForm[gr2]

We can show the splitting visually and see that the colour is not dependent
on lighting

Show[DeleteCases[gr2, _EdgeForm | _Line, Infinity],
  Lighting -> False]

Allan
Allan Hayes
Mathematica Training and Consulting