Re: Solution of this equation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20685] Re: Solution of this equation
  • From: Dave Richardson <dhr at glue.umd.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 02:10:16 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Ok, I apologize,

I was Very vague with this question, and a couple of people have been nice
enough to try and help me anyway!

Here is a better statement of the problem and a picture for those interestd:

Thanks in advance!

I guess I was a little misleading (shortsighted actually).

This equation is a thermodynamic function.

I should have said Over its solution domain, it has 3 real roots.

I need to use the roots as variable limits of integration to solve for a Pr
that meets constraints.

So, I guess there is the possibility of imaginary roots, I am looking to
exclude that posibility.

Sorry I was vague.

Pr is the reduced pressure, P/Pcritical.  In this case 0 <= Pr <= 1.
Also, Tr is the reduced Temperature T/Tcritical.  In this case 0 <= Pr <= 1.

For a unique Tr, There will be 3 real roots for vr (at a specific Pr).

I need to find the value Pr, which will meet the following condition:

Integral (Pr, {vr, vr(smallest root), vr(middle Root)}) + Integral (Pr, {vr,
vr(middle root), vr(largest Root)}) = 0

Here is a picture [email the author to get the picture - mod],
if you are really interested in the problem.

dhr at glue.umd.edu