Re: Re: Combinatorica questions!!!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20720] Re: [mg20656] Re: [mg20499] Combinatorica questions!!!
  • From: "Arnold Knopfmacher" <arnoldk at cam.wits.ac.za>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 00:17:38 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The solutions to the rook on the 3D chessboard by Rob Pratt
and Andrzej Kozlowski assume that the rook only moves one unit in any direction at a time.
But this is not how a rook moves, as Joinery in fact stated in the problem:
> > > Example for allowable move:
> > > Say from {0,0,0} to {0,6,0} but not {0,6,6},
Therefore the generating function should be
1/(1-x/(1-x)-y/(1-y)-z/(1-z)) and the answer is the coefficient
of x^7y^7z^7 which Mathematica gives as 75059524392.

Arnold Knopfmacher and Helmut Prodinger
Witwatersrand University