Re: Preventing plotting on output

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg20127] Re: Preventing plotting on output
  • From: "Atul Sharma" <atulksharma at>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 03:04:55 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

One of the more elegant solutions, from Ted Ersek's very handy collection of
Mathematica Tricks available from his website at, uses the Block structure to
assign a local value to $DisplayFunction and then Show outside of the Block,
where DisplayFunction has it's default value:

Block[{$DisplayFunction = Identity},
graph1 = Plot[Sin[2 Pi x],{x,0,2}] ;
graph2 = Plot[Sin[4 Pi x],{x,0,2}]

Show[graph1, graph2]

A. Sharma (with thanks to Ted for this and other useful pointers)

  Show[graph1, graph2]