Re: unix font problem

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg20141] Re: unix font problem
  • From: Jinfeng Liu <jinfeng at>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 03:05:02 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

"P.J. Hinton" wrote:
> On 30 Sep 1999, Jinfeng Liu wrote:
> > When I ran mathematica, it still complained "assertion
> > `GenericUnicodeFont != 0' at MathEditFont.c:43 failed" in the terminal,
> > and "The mathematica fonts are not properly installed in your system.
> > Without these fonts, typeset mathematical expression cannot be displayed
> > properly" in a pop-out window.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem? Thanks a lot.
> What shell command did you use to launch the front end on the SGI machine?

It's 'mathematica' in /usr/local/bin.

It says :

#  Mathematica V3.0.1 command file
#  Copyright 1988 - 1997  Wolfram Research, Inc.

I don't know whether our sys. admin. modified the original script.
At first, the script looks for fonts, and executes 'xset fp+' and 'xset
fp rehash'.
I think that step was fine, b/c it did not complain anything about that,
and the fonts seemed to be added to my X server.