Re: Mathematica programming language

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20144] Re: Mathematica programming language
  • From: Harald Giese <giese at dkrz.de>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 03:05:04 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Shige Song wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a new user of Mathematica, I just bought the student version
> version 4.0. At first glance, the programing language is very different
> from all the other language I know. I program in VB and Delphi, a little
> bit in C, I also do some programming statistical packages like SAS and
> Stata; but the Mathematica's syntax (and the philosophy) seems to be
> totally different.
>
> Can anybody suggest some readings about programming in Mathematica from
> a perspective of more traditional language, like those I listed above?
> Does anybody want to share his experience (and feeling) of learning to
> program in Mathematica?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Best,
>
> Shige Song
> Department of Sociology, UCLA

Hello!

I found the following very usefull:

Power Programming with Mathematica: The Kernel
David B. Wagner
(McGraw-Hill, 1996)

See:
http://store.wolfram.com/view/ISBN007912237X/?37F397E7-5F20

Regards,
/Harald

--
Harald Giese
Email: giese at dkrz.de
> NEUE TELEFON-NUMMER | NEW PHONE-NUMBER <
Phone: +49 (0)40 42838 5796; Fax: +49 (0)40 5605724
Institut fuer Meereskunde der Universitaet Hamburg
(Institute of Oceanography of the University of Hamburg)
Troplowitzstrasse 7, D-22529 Hamburg