Subscript Variable

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg20188] Subscript Variable
  • From: CORNIL Jack Michel <jmcornil at>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 04:04:19 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I have a problem about subscript variables.

First Question :

If I use a variable named Subscript[x,1] ,
(typed in with Ctrl _)
I can affect a value to this variable, get value of expressions
involving this variable, clear this variable with . but not with Clear[]

This variable is not given when I ask Names["x*"] and I cannot get
information on it with ?.

Second Question :

If I use such a variable in order to define a function with
I cannot clear the variable with f1=.
(of course, just above f1 means Subscript[f,1])

Thanks a lot for any help