Mathematica 3.0 - 4.0 discrepancies.
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg20377] Mathematica 3.0 - 4.0 discrepancies.
- From: Jordi <jignes at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu>
- Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 02:45:48 -0400
- Organization: Tulane University
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Just recently I have switched to Mathematica 4.0 from 3.0 and, to my amazement, I have realized that some calculations I developed whith v 3.0 yield different results (quite different!) when evaluated with 4.0. But there is more: v 3.0 gave the same result regardless of the platform it was running (Win9x, Linux, MacOS), which one would expect. HOWEVER, v 4.0 generates DIFFERENT results DEPENDING on the platform it is running! Only on MacOS I get the same results I got using 3.0. Win9x and Linux generate different results running v 3.0 and v 4.0. I am using the default installation (I am not changing any internal precision parameters, etc). The computations in question involve mostly some vector and matrix manipulation, which are used to generate a numerical result. Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated. I can provide the notebook in question to anyone interested (it is only a couple dozen lines long). Thanks. Jordi.