Matrices-in-functions question

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg20417] Matrices-in-functions question
  • From: "Aram Schiffman" <aram at>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:33:03 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Here is a simple one, but I can't work it out.

I would like to be able to define a function this way:

z=mat[[1]][[1]] a + mat[[1]][[2]]

without specifying what "mat" is explicitly. I would evaluate it later this

Of course, Mathematica complains about the definition (Part specification mat[[1]] is
longer than depth of object) ... is there a way to make this fly?

Aram Schiffman