Question about evaluation with Sum

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19587] Question about evaluation with Sum
  • From: CORNIL Jack Michel <jmcornil at club-internet.fr>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 01:34:25 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I have a big problem of evaluation with the function Sum.

With the very simple following example,

   p=k

   Sum[p,{k, 1, n}]

     p k

   Sum[Evaluate[p], {k, 1, n}]

     1
     - n (1+n)
     2

   Sum[p,{k, 1, 5}]

     15

how can I explain my students that

   in the first case p is left unevaluate and it needs Evaluate,

   in the last case p is evaluate correctly  ?

I do not understand how the "Attributes" of Sum can explain this.

Thank You in advance

Jack Michel CORNIL

Versailles FRANCE