NIntegrate: <XXX> should be a machine-size complex number??.

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19672] NIntegrate: <XXX> should be a machine-size complex number??.
  • From: Alessandro Simonetto <simonetto at>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 02:19:45 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I'm stuck with strange messages from Mathematica.
I have ff[x,y] as the ListInterpolation of a Table of Complex numbers
where xx,yy are the arrays of the x,y values.
(Of no use here, but the real problem is with a Table of my Complex data
measured at gridpoints {xx,yy}).
ff evaluates nicely to a Complex number as it should, but if I try

I get the following series of messages:
   -- Message text not found -- (XXnn) (NIntegrate`Private`)
(repeated also for XXnn+1, where nn changes every time)
   Expression InterpolatingFunction[{{-48., 102.}, <<1>>}, <<1>>][
     <<2>>] should be a machine-size complex number.
   External evaluation error at instruction 4; proceeding with
     uncompiled evaluation.
After which it repeats the sequence a couple of times and writes back the

I can't understand any of the messages. Especially the one complaining
about the function not evaluating to a Complex number, whereas it does.

Can you shed light on the question? I assume NIntegrate can handle Complex
numbers, otherwise it shoould complain about the numbers not being Real...
Thank you in advance

Alessandro Simonetto