Re: RE: Finding a relative prime

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19729] Re: [mg19694] RE: [mg19682] Finding a relative prime
  • From: "Andrzej Kozlowski" <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 02:40:59 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Here is my new attempt to answer my question (below). The solution is pretty
rough and I have some doubts about it, but I am giving it anyway because it
seems to me that it raises some interesting issues. Anyway, here is a
re-statement of the problem:

Problem: Find a "fast" deterministic program which, for a given prime q,
gives a random number between 2 and q-1 relatively prime to q so that each
such number is obtained with equal probability. The meaning of deterministic
is that for any given input there should be a finite time T such that the
program is certain to give an answer in time less than T.

There seems to be an obvious algorithm but it has not been clear (to me) how
to implement it easily in Mathematica. Namely, we choose a random number
between 2 and q-2. If it is relatively prime to q-1 we are done. If not, we
make another random choice but different from the one we just made. The
problem is how to implement this last condition.

The main point of the program below is to define a new function
random[{i,j},l], where i<j are integers and l a list of integers lying
between i and j, such that random[{i,j},l] is a random integer between i and
j but not in l. This should be done without constructing Range[i,j]
otherwise the program is no longer "fast".

In[1]:=
miss[k_][i_] /; i < k := i;
miss[k_][i_] /;i >= k := i + 1;
random[{i_, j_}, {}] := Random[Integer, {i, j}];
random[{i_, j_}, l_List] := miss[Last[l]][random[{i, j - 1}, Drop[l, -1]]];

This seems to work as it should. For example here is a list of uniformly
pseudo-random numbers between 1 and 9 not containing 3 and 5:

In[2]:=
Table[random[{1, 9}, {3, 5}], {20}]
Out[2]=
{1, 8, 7, 2, 9, 7, 1, 4, 8, 8, 6, 4, 7, 4, 4, 6, 8, 7, 2, 7}

Now the program PickNumber is:

PickNumber[q_?PrimeQ] :=
  Module[{k = Random[Integer, {2, q - 2}], r = {}},
    While[GCD[k, q - 1] (I-(J 1, AppendTo[r, k]; k = random[{2, q - 2}, r]]; k]

This seems to work with two reservations. First, it is noticeably slower
than the probabilistic programs, though much faster than my original
deterministic one. In any case I am sure it can be optimized to run much
faster. What is more worrying is that large number of runs of PickNumber[13]
show that 11 is somewhat less likely to be chosen than 5 or 7. I can't at
the moment see why this should be so. Can anyone explain this?

--
Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University