Re: RealTime3D in v4.0: Capabilities and compatibilities

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19730] Re: RealTime3D in v4.0: Capabilities and compatibilities
  • From: "Gary L. Gray" <gray at>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 02:40:59 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <7redk8$47r at>, Dr Phillip Kent <p.kent at>

> I wonder if anyone has gone to the trouble of cataloguing
> already the features and limitations of the RealTime3D
> renderer? I have two specific questions:
> (1) The PlotRange option does not seem to be respected - any
> workarounds?

None that we have been able to find. It also does not respect PlotRegion
or other such options.

> (2) How does RealTime3D work on a Mac? On my machine (PowerMac 7300,
> MacOS 8.1) it outputs something, but this appears unmanipulable
> (with a 1 button mouse at least?) and the viewpoint is along the
> z-axis.

Works fine on the 20 or so Macs on which we have installed it (some B&W
Power Mac G3/400's, a dozen beige Power Mac G3/266's, a couple of
Wallstreet PowerBooks). It is fully rotatable with the one-button mouse.
My only complaint is that it does not allow us to mess with the figure
properties, so we have to go back to the hideous 3D Viewpoint Selector.

Gary L. Gray                    Engineering Science & Mechanics
Assistant Professor                       Penn State University
mailto:gray at                         (814) 863-1778