Re: RealTime3D in v4.0: Capabilities and compatibilities

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19748] Re: RealTime3D in v4.0: Capabilities and compatibilities
  • From: Martin Kraus <Martin.Kraus at>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 03:53:02 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Gary L. Gray wrote:
 > In article <7redk8$47r at>, Dr Phillip Kent
 > wrote:
 > > I wonder if anyone has gone to the trouble of cataloguing
 > > already the features and limitations of the RealTime3D
 > > renderer? I have two specific questions:
 > >
 > > (1) The PlotRange option does not seem to be respected - any
 > > workarounds?
 > None that we have been able to find. It also does not respect
 > or other such options.

Even worse: It replaces at least BoxRatios by a constant value ({1,1,1})
just in order to ignore it. Thus, the Graphics3D object stored in your
notebook after activating RealTime3D is different from the Graphics3D
object you sent to the display function.

 > > (2) How does RealTime3D work on a Mac? On my machine (PowerMac
 > > MacOS 8.1) it outputs something, but this appears unmanipulable
 > > (with a 1 button mouse at least?) and the viewpoint is along the
 > > z-axis.
 > Works fine on the 20 or so Macs on which we have installed it (some
 > Power Mac G3/400's, a dozen beige Power Mac G3/266's, a couple of
 > Wallstreet PowerBooks). It is fully rotatable with the one-button
 > My only complaint is that it does not allow us to mess with the
 > properties, so we have to go back to the hideous 3D Viewpoint

There are some strange restrictions on the rotation, which seem to be
the same as in the AGV viewer GLUT example:

Anyway, RealTime3D is experimental and (hopefully) will change
in future versionsof Mathematica.

Martin Kraus