Re: RealTime3D in v4.0: Capabilities and compatibilities

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19748] Re: RealTime3D in v4.0: Capabilities and compatibilities
  • From: Martin Kraus <Martin.Kraus at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 03:53:02 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Gary L. Gray wrote:

 > In article <7redk8$47r at smc.vnet.net>, Dr Phillip Kent
 > wrote:
 >
 > > I wonder if anyone has gone to the trouble of cataloguing
 > > already the features and limitations of the RealTime3D
 > > renderer? I have two specific questions:
 > >
 > > (1) The PlotRange option does not seem to be respected - any
 > > workarounds?
 >
 > None that we have been able to find. It also does not respect
PlotRegion
 > or other such options.

Even worse: It replaces at least BoxRatios by a constant value ({1,1,1})
just in order to ignore it. Thus, the Graphics3D object stored in your
notebook after activating RealTime3D is different from the Graphics3D
object you sent to the display function.

 > > (2) How does RealTime3D work on a Mac? On my machine (PowerMac
7300,
 > > MacOS 8.1) it outputs something, but this appears unmanipulable
 > > (with a 1 button mouse at least?) and the viewpoint is along the
 > > z-axis.
 >
 > Works fine on the 20 or so Macs on which we have installed it (some
B&W
 > Power Mac G3/400's, a dozen beige Power Mac G3/266's, a couple of
 > Wallstreet PowerBooks). It is fully rotatable with the one-button
mouse.
 > My only complaint is that it does not allow us to mess with the
figure
 > properties, so we have to go back to the hideous 3D Viewpoint
Selector.

There are some strange restrictions on the rotation, which seem to be
the same as in the AGV viewer GLUT example:

http://trant.sgi.com/opengl/toolkits/glut-3.5/progs/contrib/contrib.html

Anyway, RealTime3D is experimental and (hopefully) will change
dramatically
in future versionsof Mathematica.

Greetings

Martin Kraus