Re: Re: Mathematica can't win against TigerWoods

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19815] Re: [mg19765] Re: [mg19677] Mathematica can't win against TigerWoods
  • From: "Andrzej Kozlowski" <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 01:36:57 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Leszek Sczniecki wrote:

>> As for it being a tool for "the scientific middle class" and "way to weak
>> for people, who do serious mathematics or theoretical physics", well let me
>> fist say that I have used it to do computations that lead me to discover
>> published results in topology.
> Congratulations! Lucky you!

Mathematica contains virtually no built-in functions or packages useful in
algebraic topology. Still every year I see a few containing computations
done with Mathematica. In fact it's quite obvious you can't expect to use
ready made packages in research. If a problem could be solved in this way
someone would have done it already, probably the  author of the package.
There are no hundred dollar bills lying on the street.

>> "Let me say by the way that this LISP started off as a three-hundred lines
>> of Mathematica. I invented this LISP using Mathematica as my programming
>> tool; I wrote this LISP interpreter in Mathematica. That way I could play
>> with my LISP and try it out as the design evolved. Mathematica is the most
>> powerful programming language that I know. "
>>(G.J. Chaitin, "The Limits of Mathematics", p. 76).

> Sorry, you proved nothing.

What do you mean by "proved"? Chaitin used Mathematica to do some pretty
spectacular things. And he knows a lot about programming.

--
Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University