Re: Excel

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19781] Re: Excel
  • From: Dr Phillip Kent <p.kent at>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 01:36:39 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Bob HYDE wrote:
> My colleagues have started sending me data in tables of  microsoft
> Excel (dont ask).  I need to open and read this data to process it in
> Mathematica. Although
> I do use Openread and Read etc. for other files, I havent found a way of
> opening Excel files. Can anyone help ?  Normally the file contains two
> columns of Real numbers, Surely I do not need to buy the Mathematica Excel
> package for this.
> Bob

It should be an easy task - check out

for info.

Mathematica will not handle native "xls" files. Either you
or your colleagues will need to use "save as" within Excel
to produce a plain text data format, such as comma-separated
or tab-separated values.

 Dr Phillip Kent                  | tel +44 (0)171 594 8503
 Mathematics Dept (METRIC Project)| fax +44 (0)171 594 8517
 Imperial College                 | p.kent at
 London SW7 2BZ, U.K.             |
 "We would like to have a theory of the obvious"-Andrea diSessa