CharacterEncoding koi8-1 wanted under Linux?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19818] CharacterEncoding koi8-1 wanted under Linux?
  • From: Andrew Mauer-Oats <please_mauer_no_spam at uiuc.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 01:36:59 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am running Mathematica-3.01 on a solaris box displaying to linux
machine running RedHat 6.0 with X-windows (XFree86-3.3.5). At a
certain (somewhat unpredictable) time, the following message occurs:

> Front End Message  (11:23:35 on 9/15/99)
> The front end could not locate a CharacterEncoding file for the
> requested encoding (koi8-1).

This message does not occur when the front end is displaying on a
solaris box.

If I have been working in a notebook, then I cannot see further things
I type, and redisplay seems broken. Sometimes I will be in the help
browser, and then things do not get so messed up.

One simple way to cause this problem is to start up clean and type:

x = {{2,0},{1,4}};
x // MatrixForm

The matix is displayed fine, but then further typing below that in the
notebook is invisible (although it appears to run). No output is
displayed, either. When I copy and paste the first cell repeatedly, it
displays fine in the region already displayed, but then is abruptly
cut off below the last output box.

I have looked in the Mathematica Technical info and problem solving
database, and have not seen this problem listed.

Any assistance would be great.

Andrew Mauer-Oats
mauer_no_spam at uiuc.edu

P.S. The X server on the linux side is using the same Mathematica font
info as the solaris side, but has other system fonts installed, of
course.

[Apologies if this messages appears multiple times.]