Re: Excel

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19832] Re: Excel
  • From: king at (Nigel King)
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 01:20:21 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Bob HYDE <bobhyde at> wrote:

> Goodmorning all,  I have been reading all your diverse problems with
> interest hoping one would coincide with mine. But ......
> My colleagues have started sending me data in tables of  microsoft
> Excel (dont ask).  I need to open and read this data to process it in
> Mathematica. Although
> I do use Openread and Read etc. for other files, I havent found a way of
> opening Excel files. Can anyone help ?  Normally the file contains two
> columns of Real numbers, Surely I do not need to buy the Mathematica Excel
> package for this.
> Bob
It sounds as though the Excel Files have been saved as Excel Native
rather than tab delimited or comma delimited ie. as .txt or .csv

A simple course of action if the tables are simply data is to get your
colleagues to save them in the way you need.

Nigel King - Radio Systems Consultant, KingComm Ltd
email:  mailto://king at  web:
Office:  +44 1364 642454            Mobile:  +44 7713 080166
Home:    +44 1364 642265            Fax:     +44 1364 642454