Re: Excel

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19776] Re: Excel
  • From: paulh at (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 01:36:36 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <7rnjnk$ekd at>, Bob HYDE <bobhyde at> writes:

>Goodmorning all,  I have been reading all your diverse problems with
>interest hoping one would coincide with mine. But ......
>My colleagues have started sending me data in tables of  microsoft
>Excel (dont ask).  I need to open and read this data to process it in
>Mathematica. Although
>I do use Openread and Read etc. for other files, I havent found a way of
>opening Excel files. Can anyone help ?  Normally the file contains two
>columns of Real numbers, Surely I do not need to buy the Mathematica Excel
>package for this.

Ask your colleague to kindly send you the data in a nonproprietary
format.  It is quite easy to have Excel save a worksheet in plain
text format with tab delimitations.  Once you have it in this format,
You can use ReadList[] to pull the data in.  The extra mouse clicks
he performs on his side is a small sacrifice in time when compared
to the effort needed to develop a full-blown .xls format interpreter.

P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.