Solving equations involving Ln function

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19851] Solving equations involving Ln function
  • From: Satyajit Bose <sgb2 at>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 01:20:35 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I am trying to solve some equations involving the natural log function.
Mathematica 3.0 will not let me solve them since the relations are
non-algebraic. Is there any way to restrict the domain to positive reals
or get Mathematica to use the exponential as an inverse, so that I can
get a solution. I know that this can be done in another system, presumably
because it is less careful about atypical domain restrictions. Here is
my input line and results in the kernel:

Solve::tdep: The equations appear to involve transcendental functions of
    variables in an essentially non-algebraic way.

Out[1]= Solve[delta v + Log[x] ==

           2         (1 - delta) x              (1 - delta) delta x

                               2                             2
                      1 - delta                     1 - delta

I am hoping to get a solution that looks like this:

x -> exp[v*(1-delta)]*(1+delta)^(1+1/delta)/delta)

Thank you for all your  help.

Sayajit Bose
Satyajit Bose
Department of Economics                    New York, NY 10027
Columbia University                        (212) 665-8208              sgb2 at