Re: simple Simplify[] question

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19867] Re: simple Simplify[] question
  • From: adam.smith at
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 01:20:49 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Many similar questions concerning declaring variables to be positive or
real, etc. have come up.  As far as I have been able to tell there is
no good way to do it in 3.0.  This seems to me the biggest useful
improvement made in 4.0.  If someone does provide a solution in 3.0
please email it to me (adam.smith at

I am personally a little upset that they want $375 to upgrade to 4.0,
which seems to me in many ways a fix of some of the deficiencies found
in Ver 3.  I mean I only had 3.0 for about 8 months before 4.0 came
out.  I realize that product cycles for software are decreasing.
However, I am a little hesitant to pay that kind of money for 4.0 when
instead of fixing the problems in 4.0, Wolfram might replace with 5.0
it and force me to pay a considerable amount again to upgrade.  Just
seems bad customer relations to me.

Adam Smith

In article <7rskd8$qan$2 at>,
  Ulf Saalmann <us at> wrote:
> Ulf Saalmann wrote:
> >
> >  Hello,
> >
> >  why gives Mathematica
> >                                      2 3/2
> >       Simplify[(a^2)^(3/2)]        (a )
> >
> >  and not
> >                                       3
> >
> >  and how to convince Mathematica to do it?
> Yes, the second result is correct only for positive a.
> But, how to tell it Mathematica (Version 3.0)?
> And how to tell Mathematica that a variable is real?
>   Thanks
>           Ulf  (us at

Sent via