Re: simple Simplify[] question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19867] Re: simple Simplify[] question
  • From: adam.smith at hillsdale.edu
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 01:20:49 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Many similar questions concerning declaring variables to be positive or
real, etc. have come up.  As far as I have been able to tell there is
no good way to do it in 3.0.  This seems to me the biggest useful
improvement made in 4.0.  If someone does provide a solution in 3.0
please email it to me (adam.smith at hillsdale.edu).

I am personally a little upset that they want $375 to upgrade to 4.0,
which seems to me in many ways a fix of some of the deficiencies found
in Ver 3.  I mean I only had 3.0 for about 8 months before 4.0 came
out.  I realize that product cycles for software are decreasing.
However, I am a little hesitant to pay that kind of money for 4.0 when
instead of fixing the problems in 4.0, Wolfram might replace with 5.0
it and force me to pay a considerable amount again to upgrade.  Just
seems bad customer relations to me.

Adam Smith

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/