Re: Re: simple Simplify[] question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19916] Re: [mg19867] Re: simple Simplify[] question
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 02:22:49 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Adam Smith wrote,

>I am personally a little upset that they want $375 to upgrade to 4.0,
>which seems to me in many ways a fix of some of the deficiencies found
>in Ver 3.  I mean I only had 3.0 for about 8 months before 4.0 came
>out.  I realize that product cycles for software are decreasing.
>However, I am a little hesitant to pay that kind of money for 4.0 when
>instead of fixing the problems in 4.0, Wolfram might replace with 5.0
>it and force me to pay a considerable amount again to upgrade.  Just
>seems bad customer relations to me.
>
>Adam Smith

It's true that Mathematica is not an inexpensive program. Still, the decision to
upgrade depends upon how important it is to you. If you use it a lot, then compare
it's upgrade costs to other expenses you have and you will probably conclude that it
is not that unreasonable. Version 4 is significantly nicer than Version 3. I find it
better to upgrade at the beginning and get the maximum use before the next version
appears.

And let's hope that the people at WRI make enough money to keep them interested, and
that there is enough competition to keep them on their toes.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/