Re: Simplifying expressions containing units

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19918] Re: [mg19894] Simplifying expressions containing units
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 02:22:50 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Christian wrote:

>Is it possible to simplify the expression
>4 Newton/2 Kilogram
>to yield Meter/Second^2?
>Mathematica just outputs
>2 Newton/Kilogram
>Of course it is possible to Convert it using
>but that's only possible, if I know, what's coming out at the end of the
>caculation. It would be nice if Mathematica itself would take care of using
>appropriate "versions" of the different derived SI-units.
>Any solutions?
>Christian Gudrian

There is an ExtendUnits package, available at my web site below, which contains many
routines for using units. One routine is BaseSI which converts all units to base SI

<< Miscellaneous`V4ExtendUnits`
4 Newton/(2Kilogram) // BaseSI

The package also allows: simultaneous conversion to multiple compatible units;
conversion to descending compatible units; use of a PrefixForm format which
automatically picks the proper SI prefix on output; controlled deunitizing of
expressions for numerical work with specified implied units; installation of user
defined units which work like the regular units; implementation of reduced unit
systems such as geometrized units or atomic units.

David Park
djmp at