Plotting questions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19949] Plotting questions
  • From: bt585 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Chang)
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:11:25 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi again!

Sorry, but in my rush, I sent out the *wrong* example regarding my plotting
difficulties in an earlier email (about 1 hour ago) today.

I *meant* to use the following example:

Suppose

x(t)=(10^(1-g)-(1-g)*t)^(1/(1-g))

where 0.5<g<1 (say).

I want to simulate this function x(t) for varying t ... specifically,

0<=t<=10^(1-g)/(1-g)

so that x(t) remains *real* for all t.  For t > t_f := 10^(1-g)/(1-g),

define x(t)=0.

What I'd like to do is get a parametric 3d *surface* plot with g, t as two
axis, and x(t) as the third axis.  I've struggled with this for a while,
but can't seem to do this using Plot3D (due to the fact that the range of
values for t *cannot* be given as a function of g ... i.e. I must use

{t,0,10} (say), and *not*
{t,0,10^(1-g)/(1-g)}

which is what I really want).

I suspect that I have to change my definition of x(t) so that it knows
that if t>t_f, then x(t) should be 0, so that I can then use a fixed
plotrange for t, but I don't know how to do this ...

Sorry for any confusion!

Thanks again!

Mike!