Plot3D Problem with Nonreal Numbers
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg20032] Plot3D Problem with Nonreal Numbers
- From: jmac at tiac.net (JAM)
- Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 02:40:54 -0400
- Organization: Midlife Crisis, Inc.
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Greetings All! I'm hoping you can help this struggling artist generate this 3D plot destined for a calculus textbook. If the author had provided me with a notebook file I wouldn't have to be bothering you, but he didn't. All I have is a sketch of something that resembles two funnels joined at the narrow end and this equation: x^2 - y^2 + z^2 = 4 I have solved for z and used the results in Plot3D but this generates an error for the points that are not real numbers and only a portion of the plot is drawn. The question is, is there a way to make Mathematica ignore the solutions that are not real? Or is there some other technique I should be using to render this graphic. Be gentle. Remember I'm an artist, not a mathematician. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance. --Jim