Re: Real roots and other assumptions...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20028] Re: Real roots and other assumptions...
  • From: Adam Strzebonski <adams at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 02:40:52 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In Mathematica 3 (univariate case only) and
Mathematica 4 (multivariate polynomials too)
you can use InequalitySolve.

In[1]:= <<Algebra`InequalitySolve`

In[2]:= InequalitySolve[(x-1)(x^2+1)==0, x]
Out[2]= x == 1

It will return a description of the real solution set
in terms of equations and inequalities. If you are
solving univariate equations you can get the solutions
in terms of replacement rules by using ToRules.

In[3]:= {ToRules[%]}
Out[3]= {{x -> 1}}

In the multivariate case description of real solutions
of equations may require using inequalities, and
inequalities do not translate into replacement rules.

In[4]:= InequalitySolve[x^2+y^2==1, {x, y}]

Out[4]= x == -1 && y == 0 || -1 < x < 1 &&

                       2                    2
>     (y == -Sqrt[1 - x ] || y == Sqrt[1 - x ]) || x == 1 && y == 0

Best Regards,

Adam Strzebonski
Wolfram Research