Re: Frontend out of memory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22846] Re: Frontend out of memory
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 02:51:07 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <8c1i4a$q6u at smc.vnet.net>,
 "John Flint" <j_flint at post4.tele.dk> writes:

> When I produce a lot of animated gifs (about 40 in a session) the front end
> runs out of memory, while the kernel continuous to calculate and save the
> gif's. The resulting gif's are not without errors after the front end has
> stopped, so I need to find a way to use less memory.

What criteria did you use to determine that the front end has run
out of memory?  Under Windows NT, applications should be able to
access as much memory as is available to the operating system
(physical RAM + whatever swap space is allocated).  If the front
end runs out of memory, then that means the operating system
cannot allocate any more memory to _any_ application.

Perhaps you are misinterpreting your observations?

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.