Parallel programming.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22912] Parallel programming.
  • From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <davek at medphys.ucl.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 02:04:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I use Mathematica at work on several fast machines, and at home on a
rather old Sun SPARC 20. The latter machine does have the advantage of
multiple CPUs, although none are exactly fast (quad 125 MHz
HyperSPARCs). Mathematica does not use these multiple CPUs, but I see
there is a parallel computing toolkit available now.
http://www.wolfram.com/news/pct.html
Does anyone know how this works ? I can't justify the cost for a home
machine, but given it is all written in Mathematica code (I believe), it
would seem that it would not take a lot of effort to implement some of
this, for simple matrix problems. My licence allows me to run multiple
kernels on this quad CPU sparc, suggesting it would be possible to use
the power of my 4 cpus.

Any suggestions or thoughts ?

--
Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D,