Re: Mathematica and 3D surface.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23131] Re: Mathematica and 3D surface.
  • From: Martin Kraus <Martin.Kraus at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 03:20:50 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Martin Zacho wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I do have a problem in putting a surface on a collection of data points
> (3D). The dataset is a collection of point which have been obtained by
> making a measurement on a bucket (or to be more precise a section of the
> bucket). The number of points are approx. 3-4000 (see
> http://www.mip.sdu.dk/~zac/temp/bucket.jpg ).
>
> The problem is: how do I put a surface on the bucket.
>
> I've tried normal and ExtendedGraphics with no luck. The points _does
> not_ form a nice regular grid.
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Sincerely,
> Martin Zacho.

Hello,

just an idea: Rotate the points 90 degrees about the
y axis (Rotate3D from the Geometry`Rotations`
package). Then use TriangularSurfacePlot from the
DiscreteMath`ComputationalGeometry` package to
build the surface. Finally rotate back
(RotateShape from the Graphics`Shapes` package).

Hope this helps

Martin Kraus