Re: DSolve, it should be beautiful...

> It seems to work fine in Mathematica 4. [Paulh]

> It did it for me (I use 4.0). [Leszek]

Maybe this is the problem...
The more recent version of Mathematica I can access
is

In[1]:=$Version

Out[1]=Linux 3.0 (April 25, 1997)

I've to complain with my System Administrator!!
Is DSolve so improuved from version 3 to version 4?
Can I ask you for a kindness, Paul?
Can you check if the following equation

DSolve[f''[z]-(z/(1-z^2))f[z]+(a+b/(1-z^2))f[z]==0,f[z],z]

can be solved in the more recent version of Mathematica
you have? This is not a Legendre equation but it was the
problem originally I had, of which I could not find solutions
using DSolve of Mathematica 3.0.

A last question. If I remember correctly DSolve is a
separate program (add-on?. Can I use a more recent version
of DSolve without changing the version of Mathematica?

Thanks for your time,

Nicola Attico.

Nicola Attico
Dip. Fisica - Piazza Torricelli, 2 - Pisa
E-Mail: attico at peg2.difi.unipi.it
Office: +39 050 911259
Telefax: +39 050 48277