Re: The Del operator

Jack Goldberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you input  Del[x] you get as output  "inverted-delta"[x].
> I would like to incorporate a similar feature in a package I
> am writing,  to wit,
>
> The output of  Chi[x,a,b]  should be  "Greek-lowercase chi"[x,a,b].
>
> This must be very easy but I have not found reading these sections in
> the Book very helpful.  Thanks  ..
>
> jack

Hi,

Format[Chi[a_, b_, c_], StandardForm] := "Greek-lowercase chi"[a, b, c]

will do what you want.

The more powerfull and modern version in the FE is

MakeBoxes[Chi[a_, b_, c_], fmt_:StandardForm] :=
    RowBox[{"a strange name with \[Chi] and \[SpaceIndicator] in it",
"[",
      ToBoxes[a, fmt], ";", ToBoxes[b, fmt], "|", ToBoxes[c], "]"}]

Hope that helps
  Jens