Creating GIFs using Display

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24794] Creating GIFs using Display
  • From: Brian Higgins <bghiggins at ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 00:33:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi All,

I would like to construct a GIF that consists of two cells (i) a
mathematica expression, (ii) a plot. I have been able to do this in
the front end . Here is a simple  example

mycell = Cell[BoxData[ToBoxes[Series[Sin[x], {x, 0, 5}]]]]
myplot = DisplayString[Plot[Sin[x], {x, 1, 2\[Pi]}]];
myGraphicCell =
    Cell[GraphicsData["PostScript", myplot], "Graphics",
      ImageSize -> {100, 100}, ImageMargins -> {{50, 30}, {0, 0}}];
CellPrint[Cell[BoxData[GridBox[{{mycell}, {myGraphicCell}}]]]]

This produces in the FrontEnd a cell with the Sine series and
below it a plot of the Sine function.

Now when I try to use the same strategy with Display

Display["BGH50.gif",
  Cell[BoxData[GridBox[{{mycell}, {myGraphicCell}}]]], "GIF"];

A gIf is created with the correct layout : The sine series and below
it a placeholder for the plot except the Sin plot is not rendered.

Any suggestions how I can get this to work. Note, I do not want to
use Export or use Epilog to add text to the plot. I would like to have
a general procedure that will allow me to combine text ,
mathematical expressions and graphic plots together in a single
GIF using cell expressions.

Brian

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.