Re: extract style sheet from nb w/ private style sheet

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg24784] Re: extract style sheet from nb w/ private style sheet
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 00:32:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

There's undoubtedly a sophisticated way to do this using Mathematica
itself to manipulate the notebook.  Here's a naive way to do it:

1. Open the notebook in an ASCII editor.  Search for the line:

   StyleDefinitions -> Notebook[{

2. Copy that line and everything below it up to, but NOT including, the

   Cached data follows.  If you edit this Notebook file directly, not

   Paste this into a new, blank file in your text editor.

3. Delete the initial

   StyleDefinitions ->

   of the first line and the final right bracket, ], on the last line.

4. Save the file as, say, MyStyles.nb.

5. Open MyStyles.nb in Mathematica.  Save it wherever you want to keep
this style sheet.

Near the end of the notebook proper, before

Gregorio Ferzio wrote:
> Dear Math Grouppisti
> I'm sorry for the worthy newbie question but it's driving me crazy : in The Mathematica Book "Shared and Private Style Sheets" a procedure is describe whose aim is storing a copy of a style sheet within the current notebook.
> What about the opposite direction ? A pleasant notebook is given , endowed with its own private style sheet : how can I draw a shared style sheet from it ?

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.       phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Univ. of Massachusetts                     413 545-2859 (W)
Amherst, MA 01003-4515