exporting a private style sheet

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg24781] exporting a private style sheet
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 00:32:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at
On 9 Aug 2000, Gregorio Ferzio wrote:

> in The Mathematica Book "Shared and Private Style Sheets" a procedure
> is describe whose aim is storing a copy of a style sheet within the
> current notebook. What about the opposite direction ? A pleasant
> notebook is given , endowed with its own private style sheet : how can
> I draw a shared style sheet from it ?

The procedure is simple.  Summon the private style sheet notebook with the
menu command:

Format -> Edit Style Sheet...

Once the style sheet notebook is visible, click on it to make it the
selected notebook and then perform the menu command:

File -> Save As

If you wish to make the style sheet visible from the front end menu

Format -> Style Sheet

you will need to save it in one of the following directories:

  {$TopDirectory, "Configuration", "StyleSheets"}

  {$PreferencesDirectory, "FrontEnd", "StyleSheets"}

The next time the front end is launched, the notebook's file name will
appear on the menu.

> A further question arise, to which I'm unable to answer,
> notwithstanding I read through The Mathematica Book : can I enclose in
> a shared style sheet exlusively cell formatting options or can I set
> up also option regarding the notebook as a whole ? I'm making
> reference to, as an example, to NotebookOptions -> DisplayOptions ->
> Background NotebookOptions -> DisplayOptions -> Magnification
> NotebookOptions -> Window Properties -> WindowMovable and such.

You may store notebook level options within a style sheet.  They must be
applied to the prototype cell named Notebook that appears near the top of
the style sheet.

P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.