Plotting Solid of Revolution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24806] Plotting Solid of Revolution
  • From: Kalle Bjorklid <bjorklid-NOSPAM at st.jyu.fi>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:16:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello.

I'm quite new to Mathematica, and I was wondering if there is an elegant
way to draw a Solid of Revolution. Now, there's a function for surface
of revolution (SurfaceOfRevolution[]), but i have found no (elegant)
means to add caps to the thing to make it look solid. The only thing
I've come up with is to scale another 3d-object (for example, a ball) so
that it has no thickness, so to speak, and so that it 'fits' at the end
of the SOR. I'm using Mathematica 3.0.

I need the picture because I'll use it as an illustration on my essay
written with LaTeX.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

- K. Bjorklid