Re: 3D plot of discontinuous function

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg24803] Re: [mg24779] 3D plot of discontinuous function
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:16:42 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Here is the simplest method I can think of. I will use your example.

The method woudl normally produce several error messags, so we first supress

Now, we define two functions f and g by:

f[x_, y_] := If[x > y, 1, Indeterminate]

g[x_, y_] := If[x < y, 0, Indeterminate]

and two graphs:

p1 = Plot3D[f[x, y], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}, PlotPoints -> 50,
      DisplayFunction -> Identity];

p2 = Plot3D[g[x, y], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1},PlotPoints -> 50,
DisplayFunction -> Identity];

Show[p1, p2, ViewPoint -> {-5.339, -2.848, 2.830},
  DisplayFunction -> $DisplayFunction]

produces a reasonable representation of a discontinuous function.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University, JAPAN

For Mathematica related links and resources try: