Re: 3D plot of discontinuous function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24803] Re: [mg24779] 3D plot of discontinuous function
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:16:42 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Here is the simplest method I can think of. I will use your example.

The method woudl normally produce several error messags, so we first supress
them:

In[1]:=
Off[Plot3D::"plnc"]
In[2]:=
Off[Plot3D::"gval"]
In[3]:=
Off[Graphics3D::"nlist3"]

Now, we define two functions f and g by:

In[4]:=
f[x_, y_] := If[x > y, 1, Indeterminate]

In[5]:=
g[x_, y_] := If[x < y, 0, Indeterminate]

and two graphs:

In[6]:=
p1 = Plot3D[f[x, y], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}, PlotPoints -> 50,
      DisplayFunction -> Identity];

In[7]:=
p2 = Plot3D[g[x, y], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1},PlotPoints -> 50,
DisplayFunction -> Identity];

Now

In[8]:=
Show[p1, p2, ViewPoint -> {-5.339, -2.848, 2.830},
  DisplayFunction -> $DisplayFunction]

produces a reasonable representation of a discontinuous function.

--
Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University, JAPAN

For Mathematica related links and resources try:
<http://www.sstreams.com/Mathematica/>