Custom build for MathLink examples in MS Visual Studio 6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24810] Custom build for MathLink examples in MS Visual Studio 6.0
  • From: "Buckley, I R" <i.buckley at ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:16:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Mathgroup,
Dave Richardson posted a question in 1999 for which he did not get an
answer. I have been having the same problem that he had, doing what is
explained in the Mathematica 4.0 Help.
Here is the question:
http://library.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/1999/Nov/msg00201.html
You might like to post up that the answer is to do with long pathnames.
Probably the MS DOS commands in the Visual Studio batch files become too
long with the massive paths. What Dave tried successfully, and I have
emulated, is to move the Mathlink directory closer to the root. Then, (FIVE
HOURS LATER) the custom build commands work fine. This is not a Mathematica problem,
but a MS-DOS/MS Visual Studio problem, but Wolfram really ought to change
the help-file entry on the site to warn people of this problem.

EXACTLY.I cannot build the ADDTWO.EXE.The problem lies in the mprep
step.When I tell the compiler to compile, it is not a problem.When I hit
build, The compiler does its thing, and the wordsmprepping... appear (My
description in the custom build tab), but mprepdoes not run.I then get
errors because the linker cannot find all the files.If I go to DOS/Command
line, I can manually mprep. This properly generates the addtwotm.c file.If I
then go back to the Visual Studio environment, and tell the programto build,
it builds and links with no problem. Is this a MathLink problem or Visual
Studio?Am I just being stupid and mising some kind of path setting?Thanks
for any help,Dave!--Dave RichardsonUniversity of MarylandDepartment of
Mechanical EngineeringCenter for Environmental Energy Engineering(301)
405-8726dhr at glue.umd.edu

Dr. Ian Buckley
Research Associate
Centre for Quantitative Finance