Is this a linear programming problem?

Hello,

I'm trying to solve the following problem, and I need a little bit of
direction (I'd like to solve it on my own, so just some direction,
please).

Given: a 2 x n matrix whose entries are randomly selected from {0, 1, 2,
3, 4 , 5}

Task: to "tidy up" the matrix in as few steps as possible

Definition1: A _step_ is interchanging the locations of two elements in
the matrix

Definition2: To _tidy up_ a matrix is to re-arrange the elements so that
all the 0's are together, all the 1's are together, etc.

There are a few other specific constraints, but that's the general
problem. Sort of like a disk defrag, or better yet, a 2d tower of hanoi
puzzle.

Is there any literature or anything on this?

If possible, please email responses in addition to posting...

thanks for any info,

CDJ
cdjones+ at pitt.edu