Re: TeXSave undefined control sequences

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26257] Re: TeXSave undefined control sequences
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 00:19:32 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I can't help you with the macros in notebook2e.sty.

The errors generated by MikTeX when it try to generate
PK fonts from the Math*.pfb files comes from an error
in the type 1 fonts. I have reported it, including a
fixed version of the Math5Bold font.

The problem with the font should be fixed in version 4.1.

Makeing TeX form Mathematica's notebooks is much like
makeing a cow from some Hamburgers.

There is a very limited set of markup-Cells like

Cell[_,"Section",___]

that can translated in a clean way.
In principle you have to build a Mathematica
style sheet that cover you layout.
Than you have to patch TeXSave[] for the
translation of you new Cell[] types into
TeX macros/environemts. And finaly you have
to make a TeX style with all you macros and
environments.

How ever the WYSIWYG style of the FrontEnd does
not force you define the markup for all your
layout elements. You can change the font for a
single section heading, instead of generating
a new "MyNewSection" cell-style.
Translating this create bad TeX and cause trouble.

The best solution to get TeX documents from Mathematica
is to use a "TeXFrontend" that only handle Mathematica
commands, does not care for the layout of the document
and only use a markup for "Input" and "Output" cells.
TeX/LaTeX is for documents with a perfect typesetting,
Mathematica is for computer algebra.
This has two additional advantages
a) you can use document styles that are not handled by the frontend
   with three columns, footnotes and text that flow arround
   pictures.
b) you don't have the messy WYSIWYG

Regards
  Jens