Mathlink probs under Unix

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26246] Mathlink probs under Unix
  • From: number9 <number9 at cox-internet.com>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 02:16:28 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello, I have a Mathematica problem that perhaps someone has come across...

I have a Sun box running Solaris8 with Mathematica 4.0 installed. I am trying to

compile the "fastbinary" addon (binary.tm) for Mathematica. I have downloaded it

from mathsource and I am having some problems compiling it. (I am using
GNU gcc for my compiler). From what I have read, I can either use mcc to

compile this (with the CC flag set to gcc) or use mprep and them compile

by hand. Here is what is going on:

Using mcc:

$ mcc -o binary
-l/usr/local/mathematica/AddOns/MathLink/DevelopersKits/Solaris/CompilerAdditions/
binary.tm -lnsl -lsocket
binary.tm:468: unterminated character constant

Manually:

$ mprep binary.tm -o binary..c
$ gcc -o binary
-l/usr/local/mathematica/AddOns/MathLink/DevelopersKits/Solaris/CompilerAdditions/
binary.c -lnsl -lsocket
binary.tm:468: unterminated character constant

I can not seem to get around this. I have ftp'd the files to another
solaris host w/Mathematica
and I get slightly differing results (it complains with mcc about 4000
errors and fails)

I am probably doing something idiotic, as I have not compiled anything
in years...
but I would like to know what it is. I am trying to read in some large
data sets
and I have heard that this is the way to do it (w/fast binary)

Thanks for the time.

Bob